Segment your list: Segmentation is the practice of splitting up email list into more targeted groups. Following are a few ways to segment a larger, more unified list:
- Customer list (in comparison to leads who haven’t bought)
- Newsletter subscribers
- Daily email list (in comparison to weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc)
Dividing a list in this manner gives us the ability to send more targeted communication. Also split test messaging amongst different groups helps us refine our email list and align our mailing list for various campaigns. We can also track how much money people on our list spend on an average. This will tell us how much our list is worth. We also need to take steps to retain our subscribers as losing subscribers could be dangerous to the bottom line.
Timing is of essence: Timing can vary widely depending on the mailing list. We should experiment with the list and see what gives the best results for this set of subscribers. We can also tap into Google Analytics to figure out when the subscribers in a particular mailing list are most active and accordingly time the email marketing campaign. Type of content being sent has a significant effect on the peak time, as well as the location, age and occupation of the recipient.
Frequency of marketing emails: We should ask our subscribers how often they want to hear from us. We can also do some A/B testing to see what frequency has the best performance. We should ideally reach out to newer subscribers more often and otherwise, send emails on the schedule established.
Optimize for Mobile: Long subject lines won’t be easily viewable on mobile devices. Keep the formatting simple (single-column), under 600px wide. Use a larger font. Small fonts are difficult to read on mobile. Don’t assume images are being displayed (Android turns images off by default). Make sure it looks good without them. Use smaller images to reduce load time. Use a large call-to-action button. Larger buttons are easier to tap with a thumb. Don’t place two links next to, or on top of one another. That way, the user won’t tap the wrong one by accident.
Single opt-in and double opt-in subscribers: Single opt-in is when a visitor clicks ‘subscribe’ and they’re on your list. Double opt-in is when a visitor clicks ‘subscribe’ and then has to confirm that one subscribed by clicking a link in a confirmation email sent to the email address provided.
Other Key Points –
- Focus on Readers/Subscribers
- Use Personalization
- Write interesting subject lines
- Remove Inactive Subscribers to keep the list fresh (An inactive subscriber could be anyone who has not engaged with any email in the past 6 months or more.)
- Optimize email’s landing pages
- Send a test mail or to yourself first
- Avoid the excessive use of ‘salesy’ language (these are spam trigger words like buy, clearance, discount, or cash).
- Keep your email template code clean
- Send emails through verified domains
- Send email campaign from a good IP address; that is, an IP address that hasn’t been used by someone else who has sent spam in the past.
- Write for Scanners – subscribers are short on time and long on commitments. The average attention span is 8 seconds. It’s important that we keep emails short & simple.
- Limit the number of images in your emails and be sure to use alternative text for subscribers who don’t download the images.
- Use Lead Magnets intelligently – A lead magnet is a free offer we make in exchange for an email address (and possibly additional information). Lead magnets are also called: Signup incentives.
14. Tell stories for higher click-throughs (Storytelling is an effective way to provoke feelings in your recipients and convince them to buy your product without actually pitching to them.)
Benefits Of Email Marketing
1. Easy to get started & low cost
2. Instant impact & Unrivalled ROI
3. Can send targeted messages via segmentation as well as reach a global audience
4. Easy to forward and share
5. Reach an already interested audience because of optins.
Emailers or EDMs is an active medium to reach out to the potential customers very quickly and efficiently with speedy results. Email marketing is a cost-effective method to test different marketing content and pin down the content/s or part of the content/s generating maximum interest or leads and sales for the company. We pride ourselves with a very high rate of inbox delivery. We also have niche databases of HNIs, Super HNIs, CXOs, SMEs, Lawyers, Doctors, Architects, etc. filtered as per gender, age, city, occupation, income, ARPU, etc.